Debugging ActivityPub Federation with the SocialHub

angus:

This is what happened:

While ActivityPub was enabled here, this category was following fediversereport.
fediversereport boosted the posts that appeared in this category.

If you follow someone on Mastodon you’ll get the notes they boost posted to your inbox (by Mastodon).

Having read the top post on Meta again, it is unclear to me how this category managed to follow fedive…

:arrow_right_hook: SocialHub

aschrijver:

it is unclear to me how this category managed to follow fediversereport. Is that something you or @how did? I do not see a UI for following fedi accounts by a category.

An admin here would have had to follow that actor like so:
https://www.loom.com/share/201777925be742f1be4624957b47257d?sid=fd31fe12-78a5-453d-a182-27c20c50164d
I don’t know who did. Perhaps the plu…

Yes, I did that some time ago to enable mirroring the Fediverse Report to the SocialHub. When the boosts came in @aschrijver suspended @fediversity@socialhub.activitypub.rocks. Then I unfollowed the FR account before reactivating ActivityPub federation.

2 Likes

I guess it would be useful to be able to avoid boosts and only accept new notes from the followed account. This way we can have federated topics without too much noise. Relaying boosts should be optional.

1 Like

Btw, for Discourse to Discourse federation it’s best to switch the publication type to Article so you don’t get parsed content (all content will just appear in full).

It will mean that the objects will appear as links on Mastodon, but this is a forum after all.

how1:

I guess it would be useful to be able to avoid boosts and only accept new notes from the followed account.

Yeah, perhaps something that could be added. Note that this would probably have to be targeted at Announces (i’ll use the standard terms instead of Mastodon’s) by Persons, and still accept Announces from Groups, as that is how some Forum actors (e.g. Lemmy and Discourse) share Objects with Followers.

2 Likes

Both SocialHub and TALER ICH are running the latest discourse-activitypub versions. Enjoy!

1 Like