Introduce yourself here

Hi.

My name is Adrien PARROT. I’m member of InterHop association.
" InterHop.org/en promotes and develops the use of free and open-source software for health.
InterHop.org/en brings together activists for open source software and self-managed use of health data at the local level."

We publish libre and opensource software for healthcare research.
In France, we install them on certified servers to offer them in SAAS mode to users.

In particular, we publish

• the data collection form (eCRF) called Goupile. Here’s a presentation link and the proposal we made to NGO several weeks ago.
  • the decentralized data science software called Linkr. Here’s a presentation link and the proposal we made to NGO several weeks ago.

We really need help to continue developing software that contributes to open research and the creation of healthcare commons.

5 Likes

Hello @interhop ,

We are really happy to Welcome you here, in France, you are the main group that organizes for protecting our health data, a central concern for many people and this is visible by the sheer number of persons who also think your work is essential.

Regarding NGI TALER it is very important that you are here since as you might have seen Health and Inclusion are part of the verticals we need to integrate in the comming 3 years as GNU Taler becomes available in the EuroZone. We have a dedicated category Social Inclusion and e-Health where we can continue this conversation, we will also add you to the dedicated group.

We will follow up separately concerning the NGI0 proposals you mention.
TalerICH is also dedicated to support integration of GNU Taler in the free software tool chain, via the ongoing NGI TAler open calls (that follow the same model as those from NGI0) you will find more information in TALER Open Calls - TALER ICH helpdesk.
It would amazing if Goupille would integrate Taler paiements, to support privacy preserving payments.

Hey hi,

I’m Özgür, also known as oec or Oscar.

I’m a security consultant for 25 years and CEO of Code Blau GmbH, which is a boutique software security company and member of consortium of the NGI TALER project. We are responsible for various security aspects of TALER.

I also work on GNU Taler as part of the developer team and as part of my PhD in CS, trying to extend GNU Taler with privacy preserving features such as: age-restriction, escrow service and sealed-bid auctions.

I’m looking forward to engage with folks interested in using and contributing to TALER here!

Cheers,
Özgür

5 Likes

Hello,

I’m Hannes (he/him/they/them) - a software developer. I used to work in academia (doing formal proofs of software more than 10 years ago, using Coq and separation logic), but I’m really more into system engineering – making the world a safer, more secure and more resilient place.

Since roughly a decade I spend quite some time on MirageOS unikernels - basically rewrite network and security protocols from scratch in the memory-safe (and statically typed, and compiled) programming language OCaml. Since 2018 I do that with other people in the collective robur.coop. I sometimes write articles on my blog or our collective blog.

What brings me to GNU Taler is the idea (that we proposed to the NLnet call) to implement an exchange in MirageOS. The benefit would be a leaner code base (and usually we discover underspecifications and implementation bugs while redeveloping a protocol).

6 Likes

Hello everyone,
I’m Saverio from Italy.

I’m a fan of open source software and philosophy, and I personally do use extensively of open source solutions. I’m an entrepreneur at SD Companies www.sdcompanies.it and I have a strong background in Engineering and Technology. I’ve discovered Taler Project searching for new solutions in the payment eco-system.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Mohamed Yousif, from Sudan. I’m interested in payment protocols which is a bit weird given that all of the hype now in AI and so.

I currently work to support Sudanese people affected by war, by giving NGOs by giving them access to technologies and tools (all open sourced) to help them securely disburse cash.

Long story short: I applied to NLnet grants and I was directed to this platform. I’m still discovering and reading about TALER and really super excited about the project, the effort and the community too.

4 Likes

Welcome @adonese great to read you herem your background and interests resonate well here,
If you can describe some sepcifics of your NGI Taler open call demand we could make a dedicated topic out of it and engage directly with it.

1 Like

Hello everyone !

Welcome to all newcomers! It’s great to have you here and to see the community growing. Could you browse the forum? There already are some very interesting discussions happening but considering how deep of a topic we’re addressing here, there are obviously still lots of issues to uncover…

For now the independent processing of the previous open call is still ongoing (no one here has a view over it until further publication), we hope you will get granted! Please tell us whenever you’ll reveive an update whatever the result so that we can exchange about them. By the way, have you seen that the 3rd open call is running until October 1st?

Even if your 1st application doesn’t get granted, it’s still possible to apply to the next ones: this Integration Community Hub is here for that: getting in touch altogether to share our projects and to help them happening. If no relevant topic about your issues already exist such as yours @adonese, feel free to open up a new one so we can invite people we know who could start to contribute to it.

Also @adonese, considering how much of an emergency your project is about, we hope you will find some support here before anything else! Please tell us if there’s anything we can do for that. We hope your loved ones are as safe as possible :pray:

2 Likes

Hi everyone !
I’m Mael (aka ShadeOW on internet)
I discovered this project in the context of a stage with “Hackstub” !
I’m a fan of free / open source software so I’m very enthusiast for this project, I hope it will be success !
I have read a part of the documentation of taler and I have 2 questions :

1. At this par you say there are 2 differents back-end but why ? Wich differences there are between the backend of the public interface and the other backend ?
  2. At the same part, you say : “As a result, the frontend never has to directly communicate with the exchange, and also does not deal with sensitive data.” But how do you do that ?

Thank you and have a nice day !

3 Likes

Hi @ShadeOW,

As for your first question: I think that the picture in the documentation is slightly misleading us thinking that there are two different processes running as merchant backend. There is only one process (taler-merchant-httpd) serving two types of REST-API’s: 1) the public facing API used by browsers and 2) the internal API used by the backoffice of the merchant. The administrator of the merchant-side has to separate those REST-API’s via some http-routing mechanism (nginx, squid, etc.).

Regarding your second question: What exactly is it that you want to know?

1 Like

I guess @ShadeOW only wanted to understand the dark magic behind this P2P payment feature of GNU Taler. Am I right?

Indeed, Taler is a P2P service despite the existence of the Exchange. The exchange is only there to convert money to tokens and vice versa. Once your wallet contains tokens withdrawn from the bank, you can pay to a merchant. The payment process is extensively described in the Payment processing section of the Merchant Backend API:

To process Taler payments, a merchant must first set up an order with the merchant backend. The order is then claimed by a wallet, and paid by the wallet. The merchant can check the payment status of the order. Once the order is paid, the merchant may (for a limited time) grant refunds on the order.

Thanks for asking anyway, it was a nice opportunity for me to dig in further in the docs and to suggest some improvements to bring to the docs :slight_smile:

I would not use the term “P2P” for the purchase operation with the merchant (which was the context of ShadeOW’s question). “P2P” in the GNU Taler lingo has nothing to do with the merchant-protocols or components. (“P2P” is designed in 13.13. DD 13: Wallet-to-Wallet Payments — GNU Taler and has its own API on the exchange : 1.3. The Exchange RESTful API — GNU Taler)

1 Like